TA DA!! I've used small pieces found when sorting thrugh my sewing boxes - too small to make anything out of and cut on all angles. Maybe that is why there's more loose threads. Some peices are leftovers with nice memories - the girls dresses, my maternity dresses Bill's shirts and shorts, the kids library bags, curtains etc. (must have sewed a lot when the children were young!) The thicker tartan was a bit trickier to pull through and some with the print on one side didn't always show up - adds to the texture I think. It probably took me around 10-12 hours - hard to tell as you can stop and pick it up at any stage unlike other projects. Olivia and I used a large container lid to keep it flat - as we would sit at different places. I also discovered (when standing at the checkout) black shorts attract threads from rag rugs! It won't stop me from another attempt though. So with this rug the only cost to start was the needle and as Olivia and I shared the pack the cost was about $1.80 and I cleaned out my cupboard. I'm really pleased to have learnt this.
Thank you so much Helen for allowing me to share this with everyone. It really gives a lovely insight into making a rug.