Red Onion Pickle Recipe
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
Slice up the onion and put it in a saucepan with the vinegar, sugar and salt.
Bring this up to the boil, then remove from the heat and leave it for about 5 minutes to cool down and infuse. If you want it a little softer leave it on the boil a little longer.
Mandy then showed us how to make the basic recipe but told us about all the different things that she adds to her soap. There was quite a robust discussion about all the things that you could try. The ladies even gave us a sample to take home - but we do have to wait the six weeks for it to dry.
Thank you so much to Mandy and Helen for doing such a fabulous demonstration. I just love to see people sharing their knowledge with one another. As we have said we are definitely not experts at what we do but it is so good to see people getting together to learn from each other. We always go away from these workshops inspired and motivated.
Jam Surprise Muffins (gluten free)
200g gluten free self-raising flour
100g caster sugar (I put in less)
1 large egg
75ml olive oil
1/2 teasp vanilla extract
40ml strawberry jam
For the sugar coating:
25g butter, melted
25g caster sugar
1. Heat the oven to 190 degress. Line a 12 hole patty tin with paper cases. Next sieve the flour into a bowl and stir in the sugar
2. In a large jug mix together the egg, olive oil, milk and vanilla extract using a fork.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently together until just combined.
4. Put a teaspoonful of the mixture in the base of each paper case. Top with a dollop of strawberry jam. To with the rest of the muffin mixture.
5. Bake for 10 minutes until well risen and firm.
6. Put the sugar in a shallow bowl. Brush the tops with melted butter and dip in the sugar to coat the tops.